Monday, October 4, 2010

Day 32: General Conference Weekend

I thus titled this entry due to my sitting three sessions in one day, all in this computer chair while goofing off on Paint. I'm pleased to announce that I didn't fall asleep once during conference, and when the six hours were over, I was sad. Would I make a good Catholic and go to traditional Mass? I doubt it. But I was pretty proud of myself.

The trouble with conference with some forty other girls is that they think if you're not an apostle, it's okay to chat through your talk. Irritation. This classroom filled with girls, pillows, blankets, journals, and I sat resolutely in this chair to play Solitaire, thankful for Thursday, when the talks would be published online.

Elders Holland, Uchtdorf, and Scott were easily my favorites, and I decided that this particular conference had the attitude of, "We know things are hard right now. We're going to hark back to the fundamentals to get through it. Thanks for everything you do." I was surprised. Usually in October, most of us come out feeling chastised--this time was entirely for the edification and encouragement of the members. Talks about faith, character, patience, and simplifying your life really puts us beyond our cultural differences to figure out that we ARE doing what we need to do. Kudos to all you members who watched conference and felt the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment