Sunday, October 24, 2010

Day 48: Training at the Family History Centre

Family History, I am doing it

Learning the tools for family history was a lot less painful than I thought it would be. The training centre is chock-full of pamphlets titled "Surname Mapping", "Digital Parish Records", and "Family History in the British Isles". I grabbed a stack of these and promptly forgot to sign in. One sister came to visit and asked what country I was interested in. I told her Wales and I could almost hear her eyes rolling--everyone in Wales is named the son of the father, hence names like Johnson, Jackson, Jacobson (sen), Christiansen, and Samson. What a pain and fixed only when we all die, I'm sure.

She was polite enough to help me get a start on a line that has plagued my mother for some years--my grandmother Danielle. I can trace it back to a great grandmother named Eliza Rustlebury. Using all online sources--freeibm.com, thegeneologist.com, ancestry,com, and several other sites that gleaned rather a lot of censuses. I did find Eliza's father, Peter Rustlebury, but I struggled to find her mother Mary in any marriage or birth record. Of course, only 20% of all records or less are found online, and the rest are on microfilm. Two hours of marvelous searching and frustration and struggling, and I felt so cool finding Peter Rustlebury and realizing that he needed temple work done. Only two hours, and someone else linked to my family. I was positively skipping down the underground subway to South Kensington.

No comments:

Post a Comment