Thursday, December 16, 2010

Day 94: FINALS--Lost in Pimlico

Rough Town, Brixton


After many months, the space bag Norisah gave me, gathering dust in my already too-small closet, has been delivered. It took a couple of attempts, catching the Victoria line to Pimlico and trying to avoid the rough crowds supposedly wandering around that area. On Thanksgiving, a local told me Brixton and that area, south of the Thames basically, is not so savory as Westminster. But I went anyway, trying to act natural while hauling the yellow bag (too big to stuff in a backpack)--I was nervous enough, but I kept going over the directions in my head.


Naturally, I mistook north for south and went the completely opposite direction. Some construction workers gave me the creeps, and I passed several juvenile detention centers before it occurred to me that I was lost. Bless one nice clerk for giving me solid directions.


I delivered the bag to Norisah's brother, who looks exactly like his nephews and seems just as laid-back. He wished me luck catching the plane on time ("They see one snowflake, and all of Heathrow shuts down. It's unbelievable.")


I ran out and realized I had twenty minutes to get home before the Bible exam started--my very last. I pulled out my little cram sheet and attempted to absorb it by osmosis on the Tube. Bursting into the exam twenty minutes late, I still blazed through it and finished before most people. Exhausted and stoked that final were over at last (despite that question about Wordsworth, blast it all).


After watching Joyeux Noel (perfect ending to the War class and a perfect start of the Christmas spirit), I managed to say goodbye to Mandy and Kaitlyn before they headed to Rome tomorrow. Just one day left in London!

No comments:

Post a Comment