Thursday, December 16, 2010

Day 96: Back to the States

Better Things


So Beth forgot to wake me up, I fell out of bed with five minutes to leave, fell down the stairs and definitely got a bruise, had to eat cold breakfast for the last time, and climbed into the taxi with Penny and in a grumpy mood. Shame as this was the last time I would see these girls. It was dark and raining out when we finally got into the airport. I sat in my little waiting spot with a book. Looking over, I saw Natalie. She was supposed to catch a later flight. Apparently that flight was cancelled and her dad had been on the phone with the airline for an hour trying to get her home. Poor girl had been wrenched out of bed and rushed to the airport that morning, sobbing on the phone about getting stuck in Europe, and finally found a spot with me and another girl to Chicago. What a nightmare. I felt bad about being grumpy this morning. I'd gotten everything, was clean, and had candy in my purse--I mean really.


I couldn't stop smiling as I got on the plane. Hooray to come home! I sat next to a lady headed to Chicago to accept some award from her company (she sounded like she was from Surrey), and we chatted about American chocolate, flights, where to go on vacation. The closer I got to America, the more thrilled I became. I watched Beauty and the Beast and Get Low and Eat Pray Love, and pretty soon we were circling over Seattle; it looked like a floating city, just clusters of lights floating over pools of blackness. So excited! It was about eight in the evening, and Mum and Dad thought it appropriate to feed me Dick's Drive-In burgers first :)


Farewell, England! Shall I ever call thee home again?


As it turns out, yes. I'm off to serve an 18-month mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the England London South Mission! I shove off April 21, 2011 to Preston and will get hom in time for Halloween the next year. If only everyone could have this experience; I guess that's what blogs are for?

No comments:

Post a Comment